OCTOBER 2019: EASTER SEALS CELEBRATES NATIONAL DISABILITY EMPLOYMENT AWARENESS MONTH
October is National Disability Employment Awareness Month. The goal is to increase awareness of the positive outcomes of hiring persons with disabilities in Canada. Employers are encouraged to take part in a nationwide campaign that highlights the positive contributions that employees with disabilities make to Canadian workplaces.
National Disability Employment Awareness Month is an excellent opportunity for employment service providers to demonstrate their ongoing commitment to Canadians with disabilities by paying tribute to the accomplishments of the many men and women with disabilities whose work helps keep the Canadian economy strong.
National Disability Employment Awareness Month gives us the occasion to have important conversations on how we can help break down the barriers, the stigma and the misconceptions about disabilities.
Learn more on National Disability Employment Awareness Month here.
KNOW THE FACTS
Below we have highlighted some of the key facts, figures and statistics regarding the employment of persons with disabilities in Canada.
- Statistics Canada Disability Demographic Report (2017)
- More than Half of Small Businesses Have Never Hired a Person with a Disability.
- Benefits of Hiring Employees with Disabilities.
- Four in 10 Small Business Owners Hiring People With Disabilities.
- Canadians Believe People with Disabilities Are Victims of Hiring Bias.