Assistive & Adaptive Technology
Easter Seals provides financial assistance and delivers a range of direct-to-client programs to help ensure that Canadians living with disabilities have access to the essential assistive, adaptive, communications and learning technology they need to access their world and maximize their independence. This includes things like:
- Mobility equipment such as wheelchairs, walkers, specialized strollers, scooter devices, leg braces and splints
- Home modifications such as ramps, elevators, porch lifts, stair lifts and ceiling track lift systems
- Augmentative communication devices such as communication boards, speech aids, computers and writing aids
- Bath and toileting aids such as shower/bath chairs, commode chairs, and transfer aids/lifts.
Education & Training
Easter Seals offers a variety of specialized education and training programs and services including:
- Education, job training and employment services for youth and young adults who face barriers to employment—inspiring them to live positive and productive lives
- Scholarships and bursaries to help cover the ever increasing cost of post-secondary education and support youth with disabilities in their pursuit of higher education
- Child life skills programming to enable children with disabilities to improve functional ability and increase their participation at home, at school and in their community.
Sport, Recreation & Leisure Programs
Easter Seals challenges and encourages Canadians living with disabilities to get active and get involved. Our specialized, fully-accessible sport, recreation and active living programs encourage active participation and enhanced well-being. Programs include activities such as:
- Sledge hockey
- Wheelchair basketball
- Rock climbing
- Sailing, canoeing & kayaking
- I Can Bike camps
- Music and dramatic arts
Rehabilitative & Occupational Therapy
Rehabilitative Therapy Programs focus on preserving, developing and restoring physical function and encouraging renewed independence through functional mobility at work, home, school and in the community.
Occupational Therapy Programs focus on developing an ability to perform activities of daily life, such as bathing, dressing, cooking, and feeding. Through purposeful, everyday activity and fine motor skill development, the goal is to enhance or restore lost function and promote independence.
Residential & Respite Programs
Easter Seals House – Vancouver, BC
Providing a home away from home, Easter Seals House offers out-of-town families affordable accommodations when they have to bring their sick children to Vancouver for medical treatment.
Easter Seals McQueen Residence – Edmonton, AB
In a community-based group living experience for adults with physical disabilities, residents learn the life skills necessary for independent living in a community setting. They share in the daily management of the house which gives them confidence and prepares them for a more independent lifestyle in the future.
Papillon Residence & Auberge Papillon – Montreal, QC
Delivering respite services for families of children with disabilities, Papillon Residence & Auberge Papillon provide a stimulating environment for kids and a much needed breather for parents.
Summer Camp Programs
Every summer, more than 6,000 kids living with disabilities attend one of 14 specialized, fully-accessible Easter Seals camps across Canada.
At camp, every child—no matter their disability—receives the encouragement and support they need to challenge themselves, build confidence and make the most of their abilities.
Camp is a special place where kids can just be themselves and focus on their abilities…not their disabilities. Camp is a place where everything is accessible and there are no boundaries, no barriers, no limits to what they can achieve. Camp provides a sense of freedom and independence in an environment where anything is possible and there is no such thing as disability. Camp is a place of “yes I can!”